Design & Marketing Assistant
Associate Director for Advancement
Part-time, hourly, non-exempt (20 hours/week).
Scope of Position
Working under the direction of the Associate Director for Advancement, the Design & Marketing Assistant will create strategic marketing and promotional assets to support SBTHP’s Public Engagement Division, development, and event rentals. Oversees the maintenance of key SBTHP touchpoints including the website and social media. Works within a team environment led by the Associate Director for Advancement.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Work with the Programs Department on marketing and event support including the creation of digital assets, flyers, postcards, and updating local event calendars.
2. Create marketing and promotional assets for email, social media, and web to support the department’s development, event rental, and membership needs.
3. Draft and post social media content on Facebook, Instagram, and other channels.
4. Manages and maintains SBTHP’s monthly content calendar.
5. Assists Visitor Experience Department with gift shop marketing needs.
6. Support Development staff at donor, membership, and partner events as needed.
7. Regularly updates SBTHP’s website and blog.
8. SBTHP is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities; all staff members, including the Design & Marketing Assistant, must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties assigned by the Executive Director.
All work will be consistent with SBTHP’s Strategic Plan and in support of the organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Plan. SBTHP is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities; all staff members, including the Design and Marketing Assistant, must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties as assigned by the Associate Director for Advancement and the Executive Director.
1-2 years of experience in marketing, design, and/or content creation required. Role requires strong, oral, organizational, computer, interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to perform well under pressure and deal with awkward situations; follow detailed directions; work collaboratively and independently; and to adapt to last-minute changes. Bachelor’s degree in business, design, marketing, or a related field preferred. Experience with design software such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva preferred; experience with photography preferred.
To be determined. Usual schedule will be during regular business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with some flexibility required for evening and weekend events as needed.
Director of Membership & Event Rentals
Regular, part time, non-exempt
Scope of Position
The Event Attendant is scheduled to work private events at Casa de la Guerra and El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park and occasionally for Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation (SBTHP) sponsored events.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Welcome and orient renters/vendors/guests to Presidio or Casa de la Guerra facilities.
2. Assist with event set-up, including moving chairs and tables when needed.
3. Implements the rules and guidelines of SBTHP with the renters, vendors (such as catering, party rentals, music, florists, etc.), and guests during the event, set-up, and tear down.
4. Maintains, protects, and secures the historic properties and structures throughout duration of each event, including opening and closing facilities, and arming/disarming the alarm system.
5. Ensures parking and noise are appropriate to the event and do not conflict with general safety, the visitor experience, or neighboring businesses.
6. Provide staff support/troubleshooting to renters as needed.
7. Light maintenance of sites, including occasional sweeping, raking, picking up trash as necessary.
8. Restock restroom supplies and maintain restrooms in clean condition as needed.
9. Coordinate and maintain communication with SBTHP staff and volunteers during open hours to ensure that event is successful and the public’s enjoyment of SBTHP sites is unhampered.
10. Represent SBTHP as needed to visitors to El Presidio SHP and the Casa by answering questions about general history, site rental, operating hours, etc.
11. Opportunities may arise to work additional hours beyond those scheduled in accordance with this job description to assist with other organizational tasks such as visitor center duties.
SBTHP is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities. All staff members, including the Event Attendant, must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties, as assigned by the Rental and Development Coordinator and/or the Associate Director of Advancement.
Outgoing and confident manner; ability to work independently; to perform well under pressure and deal with awkward situations; excellent human relations skills; good verbal skills; dependable; able to work outdoors; able to understand and follow detailed directions; able to adapt to last minute changes required. Reliable transportation, and availability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and to work varying shifts required. Must be age 21 or over. Interest in history and museums; previous event experience preferred. A high school education/G.E.D., plus two years’ experience in a similar position with a public-facing role preferred.
Ability to lift 35 lbs.
Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel
Ability to sit for long periods of time
Ability to stand for long periods of time
Ability to reach overhead
Hearing acuity to perform communication with members of the public via telephone.
Fluctuates, dependent on rental activity.